Special Counsel to the Army General Counsel, Army GC office, 2E724 Pentagon. July 2017-Present.
International Law Attorney, Military Commissions, Office of the Chief Prosecutor. Jan 2017-June 2017.
Colonel, U.S. Army; May 1987-December 2016
Staff Judge Advocate, First Army, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois. July 2015 to August 2016.
Staff Judge Advocate, XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, July 2013-July 2015.
LEGAD, ISAF Joint Command (IJC), Kabul AFG, Jan 2014 – Dec 2014.
Fellow at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI), Washington DC. July 2012-July 2013.
Staff Judge Advocate, 10th Mountain Division and Fort Drum, July 2009-July 2012.
LEGAD, Regional Command South (RC-S), Kandahar AFG. Oct 2010 – Oct 2011.
Chair, International and Operational Law Department, The JAG School, Charlottesville VA. July 2008-2009.
Director, Center for Law and Military Operations (CLAMO), July 2006-July 2008.
Chief, Intelligence Law Branch, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington DC. July 2005-July 2006.
Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 1st Infantry Division, Wuerzburg Germany and Tikrit Iraq. July 2003 – July 2005.
Professor, International and Operational Law Department, The Judge Advocate General’s School, Charlottesville VA. June 1999-July 2002.
Chief of Administrative Law, Senior Trial Counsel, Operational Law Attorney 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, NC. July 1994-July 1998.
Infantry Officer, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, HI. Feb 1988-June 1991.
• War College Fellowship with duty at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (2013)
• L.L.M. US Army Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School, (1999)
• J.D. University of Illinois School of Law, cum laude, (1994)
• B.S. United States Military Academy, European History, (1987)
• Lane Training in Haiti, Jan-Apr., Infantry Magazine 1998
• Editor, The Operational Law Handbook, 1999 and 2000 editions
• Self Defense or Self-Denial; the Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction, Indiana International and Comparative Law Review, Volume 10 issue 2 (2000)
• Passage of the Amended Protocol II, ARMY LAWYER, March 2000
• Military Commissions; A Historical Survey, ARMY LAWYER, March 2002
• Utilitarians versus the Humanitarians, the Battle over the Law of War, PARAMETERS, Summer 2002
• Manstein – Military Mastermind or Mass Murderer?, WORLD WAR II Magazine, November 2005
• Cluster Munitions: Wonder Weapon or Humanitarian Horror, ARMY LAWYER, May 2009
• Digital Dresden?, CYBER DEFENSE Magazine, February 2013
• Excellence in the Practice of Law – Judge Advocates serving in Afghanistan, THE BENCHER Magazine, July/August 2014
Professional Memberships/Awards/Areas of Special Emphasis
• Senior Fellow of the Lieber Institute at USMA; Global War on Terror Memorial Advisor; Expert Infantry Badge, Senior Parachutist Badge, Air Assault Badge, Honor Graduate 82nd Airborne Jumpmaster Course, Ranger Tab, Combat Action Badge, Bronze Star (X2), Legion of Merit(X2), NATO Medal, Purple Heart, Iraq Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Army Staff Identification Badge
• Illinois Bar and Illinois State Bar Association
• U.S. Supreme Court
• Purple Heart Society
• Veterans of Foreign Wars – Olney, Illinois Chapter
• Current TOP SECRET (TS/SCI) Security Clearance